Saturday 1 November 2014

In Dominic's words


Dear everyone,

I love you.

I love when you smile. I love when you see me through the window and wave.

I loved today so much. I was a stop on Unit 1's Halloween costume tour. Everyone in costumes came by to say hi. Mommy bought me a big blue fuzzy monster costume. I love it too.

I love helping the nurses clean my tubes. I'm hooked up to a lot of them lately, but that's OK. I am starting to breathe better. The doctors stopped worrying about sending me to the ICU today.

I would love not to have leukemia. I would love to leave my room because that would mean my cold is gone. I don't love the vaccum they stick up my nose to suck out samples of snot.

I love seeing daddy on the phone. I love giving him kisses. I wish he weren't so sad. Mommy says he's sick too. That's why he can't be here. Daddy says he misses me. I miss him too.

Mommy noticed a big rash on me. Even though I only had my last injection of T-cells on Tuesday, the doctors think I might have graft versus host disease. They say that's what they wanted to kill the leukemia, but they didn't expect it now. They're worried it's from my first T-cells, not these new ones, which were 10 times as much. They're worried what the new cells will do if a tenth of them were enough to cause GVHD.

I saw mommy writing an email to the hospital people. She was crying. She told them I love to swim. Wow do I love to swim! I haven't done that in more than a year! She said she'd like to take me to Disneyworld, to the zoo, and to play with friends. I'd love all of that! Why would mommy be so sad to write that?

It's OK, mommy. We can always cuddle, even if I don't get to do those things. I'll love you no matter what happens.

I'll love everybody.


4 comments:

  1. Dear Dominic,

    I love you. I have never even met you, but I feel like I know you and your mom and dad, because they have been bravely sharing your story, even when some parts of it have been sad.

    You are such a great little person. You have shown everyone that there is always something to be happy about. There is always a reason to smile. You are a hero to many people, and all we want is for you to get better so you can go home.

    You have the best mommy and daddy in the world. They are doing everything they can to help you get better. You matter more to them than anything.

    You have the best doctors, nurses and medical team, too. All those pokes and tubes and procedures were their way of showing you how much they want you to get well. They love you too.

    If only love could cure cancer, you'd be well and there'd be enough left over to cure everyone in the whole world!

    I hope you get to go swimming soon.

    Hugs from,

    A Friend

    P.S. You look so cute in your monster costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Your letter is just about EXACTLY what I had jotted down ready to comment to this post. So, I won't post it, but it could not have been worded more perfectly, much better than I would have done.

    I too am a total stranger to Dominic, his mom and dad, but have come to know them over the past year+ and I too have come to love dear sweet Dominic. I have shed many tears, rejoiced many milestones, laughed, did some fist pumps for some good news and through all of it, there is always beautiful smiling little boy, who just wants to be cured. I have been angry for a cure, desperate for a cure, I have literally spent hours researching, not that I can help, of course I can't help, but there I am searching regardless, I wish there was a better way to help. why are there no wands? Yes, ACH is the best place, absolutely, with the best medical team and I am glad they are there. I don't pray, my choice, but for some reason I find myself, thinking lots about Dominic and hoping, wishing, talking, asking for help, maybe that is like praying.

    Dominic, your journey story has helped so many. I bet you'd be surprised how many people are following and care so very much. I don't want this for you, I don't want it for your dad and being a mom, I especially don't want this for your mom, but this is your journey, we don't get to choose what journey we get, but what we can choose is how we react and behave on our journey. I'd say that you for sure have done a great job, awesome job, you are a super strong little boy, always with that amazing smile, you have incredible parents, they are journeying with you, that's what parents do, no matter what.

    Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I continue to hope.

    Hugs all around,

    Another Friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read these comments I wonder how many of us there are. People who have never met Dominic but have grown to love him dearly. People who have broken down sobbing when the news was bad. People that have had their spirits lifted by the smile of one amazingly brave little boy. Dominic you have an extended family, spread far and wide, that desperately want to see you go to the zoo, go to Disneyland and go for a swim. We continue to hope and to send you back all the love that you emanate. Peace and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dominic,

    Youre the most adorable monster I've seen! Your big smile never fails to put a smile on my own face. I wish I could reduce your burden and that of your parents. Keep fighting little guy, and I hope you can feel the love and positivity that is being sent your way by all the friends out there.
    With love from another friend

    ReplyDelete