Sunday 30 November 2014

Busy week

He might remain in isolation, but there's no lack of activity in Dominic's room this week.

Tuesday saw him get a cast of his right leg. No, his leg's not broken, it's for a splint he will wear in order to counteract the issues he's having as a result of the trouble in his brain.

It was actually the second cast they'd done. A week earlier, somehow, nobody noticed them casting the left leg instead of the right.

On Wednesday he was visited by a speech therapist. The only word he ever figured out was mama, last year, and he never got any further. He understands plenty, no doubt about that. When the medication machines beep he knows to hit the red button to call the nurses.

Trish smartly taught him some sign language, so he can tell us when he's thirsty or hungry or he's done. Now he's learning more signs, and hopefully we can work on important words like dad, daddy and I love daddy.

In between there was the usual flow of other doctors wanting to evaluate him and talk to Trish about what we do next. A group of them met Tuesday and decided that he won't be getting a brain biopsy for at least a couple weeks.

Why? While our primary doctor thinks it should be done, some other doctors aren't sure it's worth the risk. They've asked for some more time to prove that Dominic's leukemia really is under control - if it's not there might be no point in trying to treat whatever's going on in his head.

In the meantime, we got another sign that his brain isn't all right.

On Thursday morning, he had a seizure.

He recovered quickly and it wasn't a more dangerous stroke, but it meant even more people in his room and more tests to see if it wasn't more serious. It wasn't.

All week Trish managed to leave the hospital once, even with family coming to visit regularly. She couldn't afford to miss the physiotherapy or speech therapy, doctors with important information and decisions to make.

All the while there was another sign that he's feeling better. Food. As soon as he was allowed to eat normally he took full advantage, downing fries and pancakes. His diet is hardly complete - he hasn't touched any vegetables or milk products yet - but it's a great step in the right direction.

I'd also be remiss to not mention one other visit he had. On Friday night the Medicine Hat College Rattlers basketball teams were playing at SAIT, which is about five minutes away from the Alberta Children's Hospital. Knowing our story, a few college coaches had been in touch and wanted to do something nice for him.

The men's team dropped by with a signed jersey and to meet Dom, who smiled and waved like he always does. 

Just like the comments left on the blog, messages sent our way and knowing smiles and nods, it's a reminder that our community is still supporting us.

We can't thank everyone enough.

1 comment:

  1. And the roller coaster continues. Some tough calls being made by the docs. Your hearts will tell you what steps you want to take. Your courage and intuition has brought you hope when some thought there was none. Let it continue to guide you.

    Cheers to the many people who are supporting, praying, visiting and helping you in many ways. Your family has the love, support and compassion from many.

    I love Dom's smile. I'm sure it won't be long before he says, with words, Dad, Daddy, and I love you Daddy. He says it in many ways already. :-)